You are here
Dr. Camden Whitaker is a board-certified, fellowship-trained spine surgeon specializing in herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, spondylolisthesis, and reconstructive and revision spine surgery of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine. Dr. Whitaker joined Kansas Joint & Spine Specialists in 2013, and he chose to practice spine surgery in order to make a true difference in his patients’ lives and help relieve their pain and return them to a normal life. He focuses on building and maintaining good relationships with his patients, following them long after surgery to ensure the best possible outcomes.
Dr. Whitaker received his Doctor of Medicine degree from The University of Kansas School of Medicine in 1998. He later completed his residency at The University of Kansas School of Medicine–Wichita in 2003 after a rotation at the Shriners Hospitals for Children in St. Louis, Missouri. He went on to complete two spine fellowships at both the Texas Back Institute in Plano, Texas, in 2004 and the Rothman Spine Institute at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 2004. He specializes in all areas of the spine—cervical, thoracic, and lumbar—and is dedicated to assisting patients in their desire to regain activity and function, while decreasing pain associated with spinal deformities. He also trains residents in cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine procedures.
Dr. Whitaker finds new technologies and research exciting, and in fact, he has written seventeen journal publications, nine book chapters, a book publication (Pocket Spine), and twenty-five podium and poster presentations—all ranging from percutaneous pedicle screw placement to total disc replacement. Dr. Whitaker also speaks at lectures regularly across the nation.
When Dr. Whitaker isn’t caring for patients or teaching, he spends his time with his children and also enjoys playing golf, tennis, and basketball.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Biology: The University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- Doctor of Medicine: The University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
- Orthopaedic Residency: Shriners Hospitals for Children, St. Louis, MO
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: The University of Kansas School of Medicine–Wichita, Wichita, KS
- Spine Fellowship: Texas Back Institute, Plano, TX
- Post-Fellowship Trauma Rotation: Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Kansas Medical Society
- Kansas Surgical Society
- Medical Society of Sedgwick County
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association
- Mid-Central States Orthopaedic Society
- North American Spine Society
- Scoliosis Research Society
- American Orthopedic Spine International: Faculty Member
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Orthopedic Committee: Liason
- HCA Wesley Medical Center: Orthopaedic Executive Committee Member
- The University of Kansas School of Medicine–Wichita, Orthopaedic Residency Program: Clinical Associate Professor
- The University of Kansas School of Medicine–Wichita, Orthopaedic Residency Program: Research and Publications Committee Member
- Wesley Medical Center
- Kansas Surgery & Recovery Center
- Via Christi Hospital St. Francis
Dr. Camden Whitaker Selected as a Wichita Business Journal 2019 Health Care Hero
Important information regarding COVID-19, more commonly referred to as the Coronavirus Disease.x